Tuesday 1 October 2013

6% Budget Increase

Only six per cent?

I was sorry to miss the discussion on Laurence Reed show yesterday about Cllr Bob Egerton's motion to raise council tax by six per cent.

As the supporters of the motion had not decided what they wanted the money for I am not sure how they reached the view that six per cent would cover it.

I do not believe that people in Cornwall could afford it and I cannot support it.

Although I am not surprised to see this motion from Bob - generally speaking history has shown that independent councillors tend to be in favour of council tax hikes - I was surprised to see UKIP supporting a discussion around 6 per cent.

The UKIP 2013 Election manifesto promised a “smaller state with lower taxes”. So is this just a local case of forgetfulness?

No comments:

Post a Comment